Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 18, 2010

Today I worked on studying what materials to recommend for Vernon Middle School for their after school program. When I asked about the times they were meeting I found out that her weekly meeting only consisted of an after school recycling project. I told her that we needed to focus the learning a bit more, and I asked if I could come and offer her some help.

I finalized the date for May 19, pending confirmation of the availability of the U of I Memorial Union. I called Rebecca and she said she'd get back to me on it.

Jim called to see how I was doing, and it was really nice to hear from him. It is a tough day, because one of our Mt.Vernon students died today, and he was one of our Mt. Vernon teacher's kids. I did not have Jacob, who died, but I had his brother and worked with his father on my Iowa Core Committee.

I drove to Marion and met with Deb. She commented that she thought she was the only grant recipient meeting with the kids every week, so I showed her the schedule of when the other schools were meeting, which was an eye-opener for her because several of the other schools were meeting twice a week, and they were all meeting more than the 20 minutes that Vernon was meeting. I gave her three EIE manuals to look through, and recommended the Landscape Engineering since it was an advanced kit and seemed to compliment her current Prairie activities. She was receptive, and I told her I'd come back after she had some time to look through it. I also told her that Erica and I would do a little training with her before she started.

I got escorted out by one of her students. That was fun! Kids are so neat!