This morning I had a meeting with Erica to plan for the CSI meeting tonight and for the UNI meeting tomorrow. Erica showed me some of the Iowa STEM Strategic Plan Roadmap so we would be prepared for the meeting.
AGENDA, Dec. 9, Alumni Suite, McLeod Center, UNI
Engineering Education for Iowa? Preliminary forum
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION-
--Framework for engineering education at various levels. How do
existing programs like PLTW fit into the K-12 format? What frameworks
are in existence now and how are they working? What support from
partners do we need to pull this off?
My goal as a STEM Teacher in Residence has been to increase STEM experiences for students, especially those in minority, female, and low socio-economic populations, and to increase awareness in STEM activities. I have worked hard to increase my knowledge of the EIE kits (Engineering is Elementary) and to help the Grant Sites understand the role those can play in their out of school programs. I have also tried to make teachers and leaders more aware of them for 'during' school opportunities. As for the Career Education, I have been collecting websites and connecting teachers to those websites. Most teachers I talk to are in favor of showing a quick video clip (some are around 2 minutes long) at the beginning of their activities. I have posted information for EIE kits and STEM Career Video Clips on the CSI Stem Educator's Website.