We had a science team meeting today. I wrote down some of the things I was wondering about:
•What is the ‘Lean Process’?
•How did I miss what Jeanne asked us to bring to the meeting?
•Trace redesign? What is that? In house.
•“Our context has changed” Interesting. I think we're in the middle of more (new STEM interest).
•Where can I find Steve’s alignment of VAST with the Iowa Core?
•Could there be a computer program that hyperlinks each kit to Iowa Core in such a way that it would ‘load’ all the Iowa Core present and missing when each kit is chosen, thereby showing what they have and what they lack after all their kits are considered as part of the curriculum?
•Who is North Linn? (I found out...Coggan, Troy Mills, Walker)
•What is a ‘development director’? (Sue Russ, North Linn Middle School Staff)
•Moodle course...should I take this?
•What kind of data could I collect on EIE?
•What if the science team took the Strengths Training 2.0 and identified their personal strengths, and then their various tasks were labeled with the strengths needed for those tasks and they guided each other toward tasks that utilized their strengths?
•Should our visitor from Science Writing Heuristic come to FOSS kit trainings?
•What did they mean by some being the ‘control’ and some being treatment
•I see an ongoing problem with districts being allowed to go without the ‘why’ behind their curriculum (like Lone Tree opting out of their training…and Mount Vernon not having science consultants involved in their new science curriculum initiative. Should the state be doing something to guide this process?
•What is IES? (I found out...This is a grant).
•Research grant could partner with Lawrence Hall.
•Ask Lori for her code on the Fossmap assessment tool.
•What is the research on self-contained vs departmentalization in the elementary school?
•You were going to ask Julie if there was a team Google calendar?
I went through my most pressing questions with Erica, who patiently answered them. I sometimes feel like an ant at a huge picnic and I'm just getting the tiniest piece of what is there, but it is still 1000 times my size and I'm determined to get it.
Today is Stacey's last day. The science team is caught between taking up what she usually does and advocating for replacing her position. I think they all behaved professionally in this delicate situation. I sure hope they don't get overstretched. In my thirst for quality I dread making quality yield to quantity.